Denice Denton Undergraduate Scholarship
The Denice Denton Scholarship is a $1,500 scholarship for continuing students across all departments in the College of Engineering.
Applicants must be/have:
- A continuing undergraduate student majoring in a department in the College of Engineering
- A GPA of 2.8 or above
- A U.S. Citizen or Permanent Resident
- Engaged in demonstrated activities promoting diversity, inclusion, and/or educational innovation in Engineering or science more broadly
How to Apply
To apply for this scholarship, students must log into the Wisconsin Scholarship Hub (WiSH) using their NetID and password. The scholarship application opens in March and closes in May. Award decisions are communicated to applicants over the summer.
Required Application Materials
1) One letter of support from a UW-Madison faculty or staff member. If highlighting an activity outside of UW-Madison, the letter may come from someone at the Director level for that organization.
2) An essay (1,000 words maximum) outlining how the applicant is actively committed and contributing to the following areas:
- Innovation in Engineering or science education
- Peer mentoring
- Leadership in supporting inclusion and diversity within the College of Engineering or other science area/major
Selection is based on academic merit and quality of application materials. Preference is given to students who are:
- From an underrepresented demographic in Engineering, including women of all ethnicities, or African American, Latina/o, Southeast Asian, Native American/Hawaiian Native/Alaskan Native, and Pacific Islander students
- Highly engaged in activities promoting diversity and inclusion in Engineering or science more broadly
This award honors the life and legacy of Dr. Denice Denton. Dr. Denton was a professor in the Department of Electrical & Computer Engineering at UW-Madison, one of the first women to be tenured in that department. In her time at UW-Madison, she promoted outreach to diverse students in the Madison area through unique teaching innovations; mentored and supported diverse undergraduate and graduate students in the College of Engineering; and created mentoring and support networks for women faculty at UW-Madison, not only in the sciences and Engineering, but throughout the campus. This scholarship honors her contributions to diversity, inclusion, and educational innovation in Engineering by supporting an undergraduate student whose own activities support these goals. Visit this page to learn more about Dr. Denton and her legacy.
One continuing student in the College of Engineering is selected each year for a one-time award of $1,500.
Conditions of Award
- The awardee will send a thank-you note to the custodians of the Denton Fund.
- The awardee will be requested but not required to allow some personal details (including a picture) to be posted on the Denice Denton website, so that donors may see who is receiving the funds.
- Details will be communicated upon receipt of the award.