Global Perspectives Scholarship
History majors at UW-Madison are eager to study and intern abroad and bring what they learn in the classroom to life. The Department of History’s Global Perspectives Scholarship hopes to make this possible for History Majors and those pursuing a Certificate in History. This scholarship provides students with financial awards starting with $1500 towards short-term study abroad and intern abroad programs, $3000 towards semester programs, and $4000 towards year-long programs. The scholarship can be used toward the eligible study or intern abroad program of your choice.
To be considered for the Department of History Global Perspective Scholarship, an applicant must:
1. Be a full-time, degree-seeking undergraduate student at UW-Madison in good academic and disciplinary standing
2. Be a History Major or pursuing a Certificate in History
3. Be in the process of applying to your program by March 4, 2024, or have already applied, to a UW Study or Intern Abroad program for Summer 2024, Fall 2024, Academic Year 2024-25 (studying abroad both Fall 2024 and Spring 2025) International Internship participants must be enrolled in the Worldwide Internship Program (WIP) online course.
Additional consideration will be given to:
• Members of traditionally underrepresented groups in higher education
• Students with financial need (EFC of $12,000 or lower preferred)
• Students from socioeconomically disadvantaged backgrounds (educational or social disadvantage, such as coming from a low-income family, an under-served rural or farming community, attending a school with a limited college preparatory curriculum, or other family circumstances that have affected your educational opportunities)
• First generation college students
• Students traveling abroad for the first time
• Additional funding may be available for students completing internships in Africa while enrolled in the Worldwide
Internship Program (WIP).
Starting with $1500 towards short term programs, $3000 towards semester programs, and $4000 towards year-long programs.
The Department of History’s Board of Visitors created this scholarship to support the participation of History Majors in study abroad programs.
Conditions of Award
Completion of the study abroad program is a requirement of the scholarship. Recipients will also be expected to complete a post-study abroad survey administered by the Department of History.