Faustin Prinz Research Fellowship
The Faustin Prinz Fellowship supports undergraduate Mechanical Engineering and Engineering Mechanics students who want to develop a research project with ME or EM faculty, get access to cutting-edge laboratory equipment, and work closely with a faculty project advisor. Up to two fellowships are awarded each semester.
Students must have passed progression requirements into the Mechanical Engineering or Engineering Mechanics major and be enrolled full-time.
Students must have at least two full semesters on campus remaining before you graduate, so you can enroll in two semesters of ME/EM 489.
Will meet the requirements of the Honors in Research Program. These standard requirements for anyone earning the Honors in Research designation are listed below.
To get started, contact a faculty member with research expertise similar to your interests. If they are able to guide your research project, discuss your ideas with them.
Your application will include a short summary of your project, a full project proposal, your CV/resume, and your unofficial UW–Madison transcript. Your faculty research advisor will also submit a letter of recommendation.
For Spring semester start: apply by OCTOBER 31.
For Fall semester start: apply by MAY 10.
The fellowship includes $4000 applied to your student account, split evenly between the two semesters of your ME/EM 489 enrollment.
It also provides up to $1000 in eligible supplies and expenses that are directly related to your project. Before you apply, please work with your faculty research advisor to explore costs associated with your project. All purchases will be made through the Mechanical Engineering Department office, and must comply with any other UW–Madison rules or policies related to purchasing.
During their fellowship, recipients will make a presentation on their research project at the Mechanical Engineering Senior Design Showcase.
The fellowship committee will announce recipients and notify all applicants within 4-weeks of the application deadline.
Please contact Prof. Xiaoping Qian, Associate Chair of Research in Mechanical Engineering: firstname.lastname@example.org.
Honors in Research Designation Requirements
Fellowship recipients must meet the following criteria to be admitted into the Mechanical Engineering Undergraduate Honors in Research Program:
- At least two semesters completed on the Madison campus with a cumulative GPA of at least 3.5;
- Majoring in Mechanical Engineering or Engineering Mechanics; and
- Approval of an appropriate professor who will serve as the thesis advisor.
Then students must meet the following criteria in order to earn the “Honors in Research” designation:
- Satisfaction of the requirements for an undergraduate degree in Mechanical Engineering or Engineering Mechanics;
- A cumulative grade-point average of at least 3.3;
- Completion of a total of at least 6 credits of ME/EM 489;
- Receive a final grade of at least a B (≥3.0) in ME/EM 489; and
- Completion of senior thesis.
- Your academic advisor can answer questions about the Honors in Research Program.