The Carole Foster Scholarship is intended to provide financial support for undergraduate students participating in an international engineering co-op or internship during the summer and/or fall of each year. Spring applicants may be considered if funds are still available.
Carole J. Foster worked in the former International Engineering Studies & Programs (IESP) office for many years. The former director of IESP, Merton Barry (now also deceased), created the international internship scholarship program in memory of her outstanding work with the students of the College of Engineering at UW-Madison.
Scholarship Eligibility, Terms and Conditions
1. Current undergraduate students in the College of Engineering are eligible to apply; recent graduates are not eligible.
2. Students are not eligible to receive the scholarship in two consecutive academic years.
3. Candidates must return to UW-Madison to complete their degree program after the internship/co-op. Candidates cannot graduate on internship/co-op
4. A minimum experience of eight (for summer) and ten weeks (semester) is required.
5. Position must be at least 32 hours per week.
6. Internship/co-op must be related to studies/academic area. Students participating in a study abroad program are not eligible to apply.
7. Recipients must enroll in CISI insurance through UW-Madison if approved to travel abroad for the fall term. Enrollment information will be provided by the campus unit, or students can enroll independently through UW’s Risk Management office.
8. Internship/co-op placement may not be based in a student’s home country.
9. Internship/co-op placement must be through a company which is located outside of the United States.
Early application deadline is March 10th and applications accepted on a rolling basis until June 15. Reach out to ECS@engr.wisc.edu for application material.