Study Abroad Scholars
Discover the world…and bring the world back to Wisconsin!
Study Abroad is an integral part of a UW-Madison education and can be one of the highlights of a student’s time here. UW Study Abroad hopes to make this possible for as many Badgers as possible with Study Abroad Scholars awards, starting with $1,500 towards short term programs;$2,500 towards summer programs; $5,000 towards semester programs; and $8,000 towards year long programs. This includes all CALS, Engineering, IAP, and WSB students studying abroad through UW Madison!
Special for Wisconsin School of Business Students: Wisconsin School of Business students must apply for Study Abroad Scholars in order to be considered for any of the following business school scholarships. Brief descriptions of each WSB scholarship can be found here: https://business.wisc.edu/undergraduate/study-abroad/resources/
- James C. Hickman Study Abroad Scholarship
- Jay L. & Patricia H. Smith International Business Scholarship
- Julia and Jon Currie Scholarship for Study Abroad
- Julie and Lance Meyerowich Scholarship for Study Abroad
- Mary Beth Harrison Women in International Business Scholarship
- Ralph and Elizabeth Ebbott Study Abroad Scholarship
- Ernell F. Rothe Study Abroad Scholarship
- Sambs Family International Business Scholarship
All students applying to CALS, Engineering, IAP, and WSB programs should consider applying for this opportunity!
In order to be considered for the Study Abroad Scholars scholarship applicant must:
- Be in the process of applying, or have already applied, to a UW Study Abroad program for Summer 2023, Fall 2023, Academic Year 2023-24 (studying abroad both Fall 2023 and Spring 2024). (UW Global Gateway Programs and Fellowships are not eligible)
- Be a full-time, degree-seeking undergraduate student at UW-Madison
- Complete and submit scholarship application by March 6, 2023 on Wisconsin Scholarship Hub (WiSH)
- For WSB students only: in order to be considered for need-based scholarships, an applicant must have submitted a Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA)
How to Apply
Application is open. The deadline is March 6, 2023. If your study abroad program application isn’t required to be complete until after this date, you must still submit your completed scholarship application by this date to be considered. However, you must already be in the process of applying to your program by March 6, 2023 in order to be eligible for this scholarship. Incomplete scholarship applications or applications submitted to the office will not be considered. To apply, please log into Wisconsin Scholarship Hub (WiSH) through your student center or by logging in directly using the ‘My Applications’ button at the top of this page.
Essay required for all. UW Study Abroad takes into consideration other awards a student may have been offered.
Additional consideration for some of the awards will be given to students who possess the following characteristics and/or traits:
- First generation college student
- First time traveling abroad
- Financial need
- STEM majors (science, technology, engineering, and math)
- Cumulative GPA above 3.8
- Programs listed in the “UW Signature Programs” Category
- Semester and Year-long Programs
- Accounting Majors
- International Business Majors
- Female BBA students
For Study Abroad Scholars only: Starting with $1,500 towards short term programs;$2,500 towards summer programs; $5,000 towards semester programs; and $8,000 towards year long programs.
Conditions of Award
Completion of the study abroad program is a requirement of the scholarship. For WSB students, from the time recipients are awarded this scholarship until they graduate, they will be expected to participate in International Programs outreach activities. Recipients will also be expected to complete any post-study abroad surveys administered by International Programs. Additionally, recipients will be expected to provide a thank you note to the donor before departing as well as send a postcard or letter while they are abroad.
Visit program site
- International Academic Programs
- Supplemental Questions
- Are you a full-time, degree-seeking undergraduate student at UW-Madison?
- In the context of your specific study abroad program and your own background and interests, what do you hope to gain from your time abroad? Please limit your response to 750 words or less.