Hyde Dissertation Research Award
The Center for Research on Gender and Women offers a competitive award to support social science dissertation research on gender or women’s studies related work. Graduate students may nominate themselves. Students are eligible to reapply.
The Hyde Dissertation Research Award is supported through the generosity of Janet Hyde, who is a Professor of Psychology and Gender & Women’s Studies at the University of Wisconsin-Madison. Professor Hyde has made this award possible through royalties from her book Half the Human Experience: The Psychology of Women.
How to Apply
Visit to the Wisconsin Scholarship Hub (WiSH) to apply for Department of Gender and Women’s Studies scholarships by logging in to your WiSH dashboard or by using the Sign In button in the top-right corner of your screen. The application for this scholarship will need to include:
- Student’s CV
- Project proposal, double spaced, 1,500 – 2,000 words. If there¿s not a specific project, the applicant may write about their scholarly or career trajectory.
- One page budget and justification
- Transcript (unofficial is OK)
- One faculty letter of recommendation (to be submitted separately by faculty member)
Conditions of Award
- Must be a Ph.D. students who have been admitted to candidacy. A gender/women’s studies Ph.D. minor is not necessary but encouraged.
- Dissertation topic relevant to gender/women’s studies in an area of social science (e.g., psychology, economics, history, geography, sociology, political science).
Selection will be made on the basis of excellence in academic work by a committee appointed by the Research Committee of the Department of Gender and Women’s Studies.
For more information about this scholarship, please visit the program site
- Up to $1,000
- Department of Gender and Women's Studies
- Supplemental Questions
- Are you a Ph.D. student who has been admitted to candidacy? If no, please do not go any further.
- Have you completed a minor or graduate certificate in Gender and Women's Studies? (preferred, not required)
- Please upload your resumé.
- Please provide a copy of your dissertation proposal, double spaced, 1,500 – 2,000 words. Pdf is the preferred document type.
- Please provide a one page budget and justification. A pdf is the preferred document type.
- Please upload your most up-to-date UW-Madison unofficial transcript here. For instructions on how to do this, go to:
- Please provide the name and email of a recommender to provide a letter of recommendation. A recommendation is required for this application. (GWS)
- Show 2 more