Christopher Neal Heinlein Memorial Scholarship
The Heinlein Family established this fund in honor of their son who was pursuing communication arts as a major at the time of his tragic death. Their hope is that “another young man or a young woman from the East Coast with Chris’s qualities —joie de vivre, love of family and friends, creativity, humor, and kindness—will have the chance to attend the University of Wisconsin at Madison and graduate with a degree in Communication Arts with the help of the Christopher Neal Heinlein Memorial Scholarship Fund.”
This scholarship fund provides one-time awards to sophomores, juniors, and seniors who have been admitted to the Communication Arts major. Applicants should demonstrate the following character traits: good-natured, kind, personable, a sense of humor, hard working, and an interest in the arts. Academic and artistic achievement as well as financial need are considered. Preference will be given to students who come from urban areas of the east coast. Past recipients may apply.
How to Apply
In addition to completing an online application, students must provide a two-page statement describing their interests and achievements in the arts as well as a brief description of their financial need. Applicants must also identify a Communication Arts professor, instructor or teaching assistant who will serve as a reference for them. Applications are due March 21, 2023. References must also be completed by March 21, 2023.
Visit program site
- Department of Communication Arts
- Supplemental Questions
- Essay: Describe your interests within the arts. Provide an example of one of your artistic achievements. How will art continue to be part of your life after graduation? How would receiving this award help you financially? Would it, for example, allow you to accept an unpaid internship, avoid accumulating additional debt, reduce the number of hours you need to work so you can become more involved in a student organization and/or focus more on your studies? Please limit your response to two pages.
- Recommendations will be used to determine whether you are a strong candidate for the scholarship(s) associated with the application. You should carefully consider who you request for a recommendation. We strongly recommend that you ask a Communication Arts professor, instructor or teaching assistant to serve as your recommender. Your recommender will be asked to answer a couple of questions instead of submitting a letter. Be sure to contact the recommender(s) to let them know you listed them as a recommender for this application.
- Please note that if you are awarded a Christopher Neal Heinlein Memorial Scholarship, the Communication Arts Department will share your name, home address, academic year, and the information provided in your application essay with the Heinleins and the UW Foundation. Your name may also be listed in communications to the general public, such as the Comm Arts website.
- (L&S) I understand that to receive and maintain my scholarship I must be a student in good standing. Any instances of academic or non-academic misconduct may result in the removal of this scholarship.