Somos Undergraduate Development Award
The Chican@ & Latin@ Studies Program offers the Somos Undergraduate Development Award annually to students enrolled in its academic programs who belong to minority groups historically underserved by higher education in the United States. The award is supported by the generosity of Dr. Andrea-Teresa Arenas with proceeds from the sale of her book Somos Latinas, and by her husband, former Chancellor John Wiley. Each Spring, the Program will award up to $1500.00 for at least one student professional, academic, or artistic initiative, preferably one to be carried out during the following summer or the following academic year. Examples of eligible student initiatives include travel to professional meetings, internships, research projects, travel to collections, and creative projects. Applications will be screened by a committee of CLSP faculty and staff who will determine the award winner or winners.
How to Apply
Log in to your WiSH dashboard by using the Sign In button in the top-right corner of your screen. The application consists of a project proposal (1-3 pp), a budget, a resume or CV, a biographical sketch of the applicant, and documentation of the feasibility of the initiative if applicable (for example, a letter of acceptance from an internship site, acceptance of scholarship (i.e. a paper, poster, art, poetry, etc. at a conference or conference type event).
- Chican@ and Latin@ Studies Program
- Supplemental Questions
- Please upload a project proposal (1-3 pp) in PDF or Word format outlining your proposed initiative. Your proposal should include specific dates and places of the proposed activities.
- Please upload a resume or vita including relevant work, volunteer, and educational experiences that have prepared you for this initiative.
- Please submit a project budget. If you are requesting funds from other sources, your budget should make this clear and specify those sources.
- Please submit a brief (up to 500-word) biographical statement that the CLS Program can use on the Web or in publications.
- If applicable, please submit documentation of the feasibility of your initiative as a PDF file. For example, if you are proposing to present at a conference, you could submit the letter of acceptance from the conference's organizers. If you have multiple documents, please combine them into a single file.