School of Journalism & Mass Communication Summer Internship Support
About the Scholarships:
The Ben and Karen Deutsch Internship Fund and the School of Journalism and Mass Communication Board of Visitors Support Fund were established to support student summer internships. The Deutsch Internship Fund was established in memory of Ben’s friend, roommate and classmate, Howie Stillman. Awards will range up to $4,000. Undergraduate and graduate students in the School of Journalism and Mass Communication are eligible to apply.
To be eligible you must:
• Be enrolled in the School of Journalism and Mass Communication with a graduation date after December 2022.
• Be on campus and enrolled in school during the fall 2022 semester.
• Have applied for, secured, or been accepted for a summer internship. The internship must last a minimum of six weeks and involve a minimum of 120 hours of work, with a minimum of 20 hours/week.
• Show proof of internship(s) – if you applied for more than one; this may include a copy of the completed application, time period and hours of internship, a complete description of job duties and responsibilities, and include the amount of pay or stipend being provided. If already accepted into the internship, a letter from the supervisor confirming acceptance. If you are still in the process, you can upload a copy of email communications.
The following criteria will be taken into account:
• How this internship will benefit you in regard to your personal and professional goals.
• How this scholarship assistance will enable you (be specific) to participate in this internship opportunity.
• Your motivation and passion for the internship and why you specifically want this opportunity.
• The breakdown of anticipated expenses during the summer of your internship.
• Preference will be given to students who may not have had any internship experiences to date related to their personal/professional goals and/or have a financial need.
Thursday, March 31, 2022.
Internships at a partisan political organization and/or for a legislator cannot be considered.
Before you begin this application, be sure that you have created a combined PDF file that contains the following documents:
• Resume – Include all internships and experiences.
• Internship Description(s) – if you have more than one potential internship, please list all of them.
• Start/End Dates of Internship – Number of hours/week of internship; payment or stipend; whether you are required to receive credit.
• Proof of Internship Acceptance
• The Name and Email Address of the person you want to serve as your reference, e.g. a professor or supervisor, for this scholarship. That person will be receiving an email from our office with the recommendation form.
- School of Journalism and Mass Communication
- Supplemental Questions
- Preferred Mailing Address
- Cell Phone
- Anticipated Graduation Date
- Have you applied and/or received any other funding for your summer internship opportunity?
- If you answered yes to the question above, please list all funding and amounts.
- How will this internship benefit you in regard to your personal and professional goals? (Be specific – this should be between half a page to one page)
- How will this scholarship assistance enable you (be specific) to participate in this internship opportunity? (This should be between half a page to one page)
- Describe your motivation and passion for the internship and why you are specifically applying for this opportunity? (This should be between half a page to one page)
- What is the breakdown of anticipated expenses the summer during your internship? (Please be specific with your budget – include all anticipated costs or expenses – rent/housing costs, transportation, additional expenses)
- Please upload your combined PDF file that contains the following: resume, internship description(s), include all if you applied for more than one, start/end dates of the internship, proof of internship acceptance, and the name and email address of the person you want to serve your reference for this award.
- Please write in the *Name and Email Address* of the person you want to serve as your reference for this scholarship. That person will be receiving an email from our office with the recommendation form.
- I understand that I am responsible for communicating scholarship information to the Student Financial Services financial aid examiner to help determine the amount of funding for which I qualify.
- I understand that if this scholarship amount exceeds my financial aid limit, Student Financial Services will apply the award to loans in my financial aid package. I will not be able to collect the extra funds, but will owe less to creditors when I graduate.
- I understand that I must be enrolled in the School of Journalism and Mass Communication in order to receive this scholarship. If I transfer to another school or college, I understand that I will no longer be eligible to receive this scholarship.
- By submitting your application, you are agreeing to the following:
- I authorize the School of Journalism and Mass Communication to obtain additional information to verify contents of my application.
- I certify that all the information I have provided on this application is true, correct, and complete.
- If granted this scholarship, I understand that I am required to write a letter of appreciation and a one-page essay describing my internship experience to the Board of Visitors and/or donors. I also understand that I must be willing to meet with the members of the Board of Visitors and/or donors.
- If granted this scholarship, I will only use it for expenses related to my internship experience or to supplement any stipends received.
- Show 10 more