Theodore Herfurth and Teddy Kubly Awards for Comprehensive Undergraduate Excellence
A generous grant from the Herfurth and Kubly family allows for awards to seniors who made the maximum use of their time at UW-Madison, demonstrating productivity in the classroom and the community.
A $2,000 cash prize for seniors judged outstanding in the areas of academic achievement, leadership in constructive extracurricular activities, financial self-support, and effective communication skills.
Students must have senior standing, and plan to graduate the May/August/December following application.
How to Apply
Applicants must be nominated by UW-Madison faculty or staff, and submit an application, resume/CV, and transcript.
Selection criteria: academic achievement, service, leadership, financial self-support, effective communication skills.
Two awards of $2,000 are given annually to graduating seniors. Occasionally honorable mentions are named, and receive $500 each.
Conditions of Award
Ten finalists are selected to attend a banquet in April with selection committee members and a representative from the Herfurth and Kubly family. At the event, finalists will be asked to give a 5 minute prepared speech on the topic of their choice, and a 2 minute impromptu speech responding to a question posed by a member of the selection committee. The award recipients are selected from among the finalists.
Visit program site
- Undergraduate Academic Awards
- Supplemental Questions
- To apply for this award you must be nominated by faculty or staff, and plan to graduate in May, August or December of 2022.
I understand these eligiblity criteria and verify both are true.
- The Herfurth-Kubly Committee will invite 8-10 finalists to an in-person reception and dinner on April 4, 2022 from 4:30-9:00p.m. Attendance is mandatory. (If COVID-19 protocols require that we hold a virtual reception instead, we will let you know as soon as possible.) At this event candidates complete the last part of the application process; two short speeches, one prepared and one impromptu.
I have read and understand this statement (Y/N).
Please complete and upload the required Herfurth-Kubly résumé template linked below. Please save and upload this résumé template in pdf format, and name the file like this: last name+first name (EX: Badger+Bucky). Herfurth Kubly Résumé Template 2021-2022
Please upload your most up-to-date unofficial transcript. For instructions on how to do this, go to: Request unofficial transcript
- UNDERGRADUATE SERVICE AND LEADERSHIP HOURS
- a.Total hours of Service, Leadership, and other Activities (NOT FOR CREDIT) (total from Part II (A) on the Herfurth-Kubly résumé template).
- b.Total hours of Service, Leadership, and other Activities (FOR CREDIT) (total from Part II (B) on the Herfurth-Kubly résumé template).
- UNDERGRADUATE EDUCATION FINANCING
Please format the dollar amounts without a dollar sign, comma or decimal point. EX: 5000
- a. Total amount earned through merit scholarships or awards (total from Part III on the Herfurth-Kubly résumé template).
- b. Total amount earned through employment while in college (total from Part IV on the Herfurth-Kubly résumé template).
- c. Total amount of money earned for college while in high school.
- d. Need-based Financial aid administered through UW-Madison Office of Student Financial Aid. Total amount of grants (funds that do not have to be repaid).
- e. Need-based Financial aid administered through UW-Madison Office of Student Financial Aid. Total amount of loans (funds that have to be repaid to the U.S. Department of Education or a financial institution).
- f. If there are extenuating circumstances related to the self-financing of your undergraduate education not captured in the questions above, please briefly explain them here:
- I understand that to apply for and receive the Herfurth-Kubly Awards for Comprehensive Undergraduate Excellence I must be a student in good academic and disciplinary standing. I further understand that to be eligible for these awards, I must disclose to the Undergraduate Academic Awards Office past university disciplinary action for academic or non-academic misconduct. Records may be requested to verify the circumstances of any disciplinary infraction.
- Show 2 more