DDEEA Global Scholars Scholarship
This scholarship is available to UW-Madison students participating in the following Division of Diversity, Equity & Educational Achievement affiliated programs: Center for Educational Opportunity, Mercile J. Lee Scholarship Program, First Wave, PEOPLE, or the Posse Program who are interesting in studying abroad. The scholarship is designed to support DDEEA Scholars who are engaging in a VIRTUAL UW Study Abroad opportunity during the Winter Intersession 2021-22 term. Applicant must be in the process of applying, or have already applied, to a UW Study Abroad program for Winter Intersession 2021-22.
How to Apply
- Students must participate in one of the following programs within the Division of Diversity, Equity & Educational Achievement:
- Center for Educational Opportunity
- Mercile J. Lee Scholarship Program
- First Wave
- McNair Scholars
- Posse Program
- Students must be in the process of applying, or have already applied, to a UW Study Abroad program for Summer 2021 (UW Global Gateway Programs are not eligible)
- Students will have at least one semester on UW-Madison’s campus after you return from your study abroad program
- Students commit to the DDEEA Global Scholars Scholarship pre-departure, Global Scholars Project, and upon return requirements
Application is open soon The deadline is October 1, 2021. If your study abroad program application isn’t required to be complete until after this date, you must still submit your scholarship application by this date to be considered. However, you must already be in the process of applying to your program by October 1, 2021 in order to be eligible for this scholarship. Incomplete scholarship applications or applications submitted to the office will not be considered. To apply, please log into Wisconsin Scholarship Hub (WiSH) through your student center or by logging in directly using the ‘My Applications’ button at the top of this page.
Student applications will undergo a holistic review to include the following considerations:
- Financial Need
- First Time Abroad
- First Generation College Student
- Program is less than four weeks
- Time to Degree Completion
- Two Essays
UW Study Abroad and DDEEA takes into consideration other awards a student may have been offered.
Awards will be at least $1,000 per award towards UW Study Abroad short-term programs.
Conditions of Award
Completion of the study abroad program is a requirement of the scholarship. In addition, recipients are required to meet with DDEEA Staff prior to their departure and upon return from their study abroad, and complete the DDEEA Global Scholars Project. The Global Scholars Project will connect the academic, career, and personal goals that the students share in their application essay to their lived experience while abroad through documentation of their experience and a reflection project upon their return. Scholars will meet for a pre-departure session to work with the DDEEA Staff to review their essay and create a skills and goals template to guide their documentation while abroad. They can utilize their strengths whether it is blogging, writing, visual documentation through videos, recorded audio, or a combination of mediums.
Visit program site