Mellon Wisconsin and Chancellor's Fellowships
The Mellon Foundation in partnership with the State of Wisconsin has provided funding for 8 summer fellowships for PhD candidates with dissertator status in the College of Letters and Science in the humanities and humanistic social sciences. The Chancellor has provided funding for an additional 19 fellowships for PhD, MFA, and DMA candidates with dissertator status in the Arts and Humanities. These fellowship competitions are administered jointly by the Graduate School’s Office of Diversity, Inclusion, and Funding.
- Enrolled in a PhD, MFA or DMA program in the College of Letters and Science
- Have dissertator status by the beginning of Spring 2021
- Dissertation research is in the arts, humanities, or humanistic social sciences
- In the final stages of writing your dissertation (Fellowship recipients are expected to complete their dissertations by the end of Summer 2022)
How to Apply
- Information requested in the online application
- A letter of recommendation from your advisor
- Your CV in PDF format.
The online application system allows you to save your application and complete it at any time before the deadline.
Awardees will receive a total stipend of $7,635 ($2,545/month) over the course of the summer term (June 1 – August 31, 2021), in addition to having all tuition and required fees covered. These fellowships on their own do not provide health insurance eligibility during the summer term. If you have university funding that provides health insurance benefits in the Spring 2021 or Fall 2021 terms, you may qualify for health benefits over the summer.
Fellowship winners must enroll for three research credits in the summer term. As the purpose of the fellowship award is to allow students to focus full-time on their dissertation preparation, additional campus employment during the fellowship period will not be permitted
If you have any questions about this fellowship opportunity, please contact Nathaniel Haack at email@example.com.