Study Abroad Scholars
Discover the world…and bring the world back to Wisconsin!
Study Abroad is an integral part of a UW-Madison education and can be one of the highlights of a student’s time here. UW Study Abroad hopes to make this possible for as many Badgers as possible with Study Abroad Scholars awards, starting with $1,500 towards short term programs; $3,000 towards semester programs; and $4,000 towards year long programs. This includes all CALS, Engineering, IAP, and WSB students studying abroad through UW Madison!
Special for Wisconsin School of Business Students: Wisconsin School of Business students must apply for Study Abroad Scholars in order to be considered for any of the following business school scholarships:
- James C. Hickman Study Abroad Scholarship
- Jay L. & Patricia H. Smith International Business Scholarship
- Julia and Jon Currie Scholarship for Study Abroad
- Julie and Lance Meyerowich Scholarship for Study Abroad
- Keys to Travel Scholarship
- Mary Beth Harrison Women in International Business Scholarship
- Ralph and Elizabeth Ebbott Study Abroad Scholarship
All students applying to CALS, Engineering, IAP, and WSB programs should consider applying for this opportunity!
In order to be considered for the Study Abroad Scholars scholarship applicant must:
- Be in the process of applying, or have already applied, to a UW Study Abroad program for Spring 2021, Winter Intersession 2020-21, Spring Break 2021 or Calendar Year 2021. (UW Global Gateway Programs and Fellowships are not eligible)
- Be a full-time, degree-seeking undergraduate student at UW-Madison
- Complete and submit scholarship application by October 15, 2020 on Wisconsin Scholarship Hub (WiSH)
- For WSB students only: in order to be considered for need-based scholarships, an applicant must have submitted a Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA)
How to Apply
Application is now closed! Please check back soon for open applications. The deadline is October 15, 2020. If your study abroad program application isn’t required to be complete until after this date, you must still submit your completed scholarship application by this date to be considered. However, you must already be in the process of applying to your program by October 15, 2020 in order to be eligible for this scholarship. Incomplete scholarship applications or applications submitted to the office will not be considered. To apply, please log into Wisconsin Scholarship Hub (WiSH) through your student center or by logging in directly using the ‘My Applications’ button at the top of this page.
Essay required for all. UW Study Abroad takes into consideration other awards a student may have been offered.
Additional consideration for some of the awards will be given to students who possess the following characteristics and/or traits:
- First generation college student
- First time traveling abroad
- Financial need
STEM majors (science, technology, engineering, and math)
- Cumulative GPA above 3.8
- Programs listed in the “UW Signature Programs” Category
- Semester and Year-long Programs
- Accounting Majors
- International Business Majors
- Female BBA students
Award InformationFor WSB Scholarships only: Awards are for one semester and range from $500 to $5,000.
For Study Abroad Scholars only: Starting with $1,500 towards short term programs; $3,000 towards semester programs; and $4,000 towards year long programs.
Conditions of Award
Completion of the study abroad program is a requirement of the scholarship. For WSB students, from the time recipients are awarded this scholarship until they graduate, they will be expected to participate in International Programs outreach activities. Recipients will also be expected to complete any post-study abroad surveys administered by International Programs. Additionally, recipients will be expected to provide a thank you note to the donor before departing as well as send a postcard or letter while they are abroad.
Visit program site