Francis G. & Edda S. Gentry and AYF Alumni & Friends Scholarships
This scholarship is open to full-time, degree-seeking undergraduate UW-Madison and consortium students (University of Iowa, University of Michigan and Michigan State University) who must have completed an Academic Year in Freiburg Consortium program application. Only students who apply for the program will be eligible for the following scholarships:
Francis G. and Edda S. Gentry Scholarship – The Gentry Fund has been created by AYF students from the year 1984-1985, in honor of their Resident Director and his wife, Professors Francis G. and Edda S. Gentry, to support current AYF participants.
AYF Alumni & Friends Scholarship – The AYF Alumni & Friends Scholarship is established to support Academic Year Freiburg students who demonstrate a commitment to German-American cultural exchange and German language learning.
Pending the yearly approval of funds, each scholarship will be awarded to students in the Academic Year in Freiburg study abroad program administered by UW Study Abroad at the University of Wisconsin-Madison. You must be a full-time, degree-seeking undergraduate at a UW-Madison, University of Iowa, University of Michigan or Michigan State University. You must have started an application to the International Academic Program (IAP) study abroad program for Academic Year in Freiburg Consortium 2021-2022.
How to Apply
Scholarship application is open NOW! This scholarship deadline is March 15, 2021. To apply for scholarship, please log into Wisconsin Scholarship Hub (WiSH) through your student center, or by logging in directly using the ‘My Applications’ button at the top of this page. This system is accessible to students from any Consortium school, once they have completed the steps to get a temporary UW Net ID. Please contact your AYF Advisor for these directions. Incomplete scholarship applications or applications submitted to the IAP office will not be considered.
If you are consortium member and having difficulty logging in, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org
Essay required. Additional consideration for the awards will be given to students who demonstrate special need and show past academic achievement.
Additional information on the scholarship and the donors can be found on the Scholarship Chart
Conditions of Award
Completion of the study abroad program is a requirement of the scholarship. In addition, recipients are required to submit a thank-you letter for the donor.
Visit the AYF program site
- International Academic Programs
- Supplemental Questions
- Are you a full-time, degree-seeking undergraduate student at UW-Madison or consortium school (University of Michigan, Michigan State, or University of Iowa)?
- Which University do you intend on graduating from?
- When is your birthdate?
- What is your preferred phone number?
- What is your home address?
- What is your Academic Level (Year in School)?
- What is your major?
- Which School/College within your University do you intend to graduate from?
- Which semester do you expect to graduate?
- Have you started or completed your AYF Program application?
- Please list all the University-level German classes you have taken. Please include the grade and semester.
- Please explain your academic, personal, and career goals in participating in the AYF Program, and how receiving one of the AYF Alumni Club scholarships would help you to meet those goals?
- How would you go about communicating your experience in Freiburg to the AYF Alumni community while you are still studying in Freiburg?
- Show 8 more