Ginsberg Family Excellence Award (L&S)
This award for leadership, service and scholarship recognizes students who have made outstanding leadership and service contributions to the University and/or the surrounding communities while maintaining a record of academic excellence.
A minimum 3.3 cumulative GPA is required for the Letters & Science award. Only candidates with an exemplary record of leadership and service will be considered for this award.
Candidates must be in the College of Letters & Science and have Junior or Senior standing. Second year students are not eligible.
How to Apply
Complete application in the WiSH system. Two letters of recommendation, three short essays, resume and transcript are required.
Junior and Senior Letters & Science degree candidates with a 3.3 minimum cumulative GPA are eligible to apply. Although Juniors can apply, in most cases Seniors have acquired deeper records of service due to an additional year of enrollment.
This award is named for the Ginsberg Family.
Paul Ginsberg was Dean of Students at UW-Madison from 1970 to 1987.
Beginning in 2018, the Ginsberg Family graciously contributed to to continue the legacy of the “Bud” Meyerhoff Leadership awards and by creating the Ginsberg Family awards. Dean Ginsberg had a profound impact on students and their well-being during his tenure on campus.
Selected finalists from the College of Letters & Science are invited to attend a recognition reception in May 2021.
Conditions of Award
The student must be enrolled full-time in the College of Letters & Science, maintain a 3.3 cumulative GPA, and be making adequate progress toward fulfilling major requirements as designated by the criteria of the scholarship.
Visit program site
- College of Letters and Science
- Supplemental Questions
- What is community service or community engagement to you? Why is it important?
- Please describe your community and/or campus service and your leadership/involvement contributions while attending UW-Madison.
- Which of these experiences have been the most meaningful to you and why? What impact did your actions have on the community and yourself? How are these experiences affecting your future plans?
- Two recommendations are required for this award. One from a community or campus leader who is familiar with your service. The second is requred from an academic reference. Please enter the information below for your first recommender.
- A second recommendation is required for the Ginsberg Family Excellence award. Please enter the information requested below.
- Please upload a current resume or C.V. here. A pdf format is preferred.
- Is there any other information the Scholarships Committee should know about you pertaining to the review and assessment of your application? This is your opportunity to tell us about any extenuating circumstances (financial or otherwise), challenges, identity and/or family experiences and history, exceptional talents or accomplishments, or other factors that are not contained in other areas of the application that may impact its review. Please be specific when presenting the additional information while honoring your need for privacy and discretion. (Mollere/Ebling)
- Please upload your most up-to-date unofficial transcript (with completed Fall 2020 reported grades). For instructions on how to do this, go to:
Request unofficial transcript
- Show 3 more