- Undergraduate Academic Awards
- Supplemental Questions
- Please indicate which of the following describes your academic level and establishes your eligibility for a Sophomore Research Fellowship:
- Have you applied for a Hilldale Research Fellowship/Holstrom Environmental Research Fellowship this year? (You may not apply for both the Sophomore Research Fellowship and the Hilldale Research Fellowship/Holstrom Environmental Scholarship in the same year.)
- Academic field of proposed research:
- Title of proposed research project:
- Project Advisor
- a. Project advisor's name:
- b. Project advisor's UW-Madison email address:
- c. Project advisor's title (Professor, Research Scientist, etc...):
- d. Project advisor's department (Sociology, Botany, etc...)
- e. REQUEST REFERENCE: To request the letter of reference from your project advisor click on "Add a New Reference" below, enter their name and UW-Madison email address and save. The WiSH system will send an email to your project advisor with a link to upload their letter. You are responsible for ensuring your project advisor completes this reference request.
- When do you plan to start the research outlined in this Sophomore Research Fellowship proposal?
- Are you applying for, or have you received, other undergraduate scholarships/fellowships to complete the research proposed in this application? (If you are awarded and accept a Sophomore Research Fellowship (SRF) you may not accept funding from other sources for the same research project during the same time period. For example, if you plan to apply for summer funding from another source you may want to apply for the SRF for the academic year.)
- If yes, please describe. (For example, 'Applied for summer research grant from the Biochemistry Department.')
- Project Proposal
Please upload your project proposal in pdf format, and name the file like this: last name+first name (EX: Badger+Bucky).
Your proposal should be three to five double-spaced pages (including abstract and references), and should follow disciplinary guidelines. Please use at least 1 inch margins and a font size no smaller than 11pt. If you are uncertain about how to format your proposal, talk to your project advisor.
All proposals should contain the following:
* An abstract of the proposed research (200 words or less, may be single-spaced)
* Introduction and literature review, detailing the originality and significance of the proposed project
* Methods section, describing plans for data collection and analysis
* Timeline for completion of project
* Conclusion/future directions
* References (may be single-spaced)
Sample successful proposals are available for review here. (These sample proposals are for view only. No reproductions allowed.)
- Talk with your project advisor about what you will do if pandemic conditions necessitate restrictions on in-person research activities during summer 2022 and/or the 2022-2023 academic year. Briefly describe how you might modify your proposed research so you can work remotely if needed. (Enter N/A if your proposal would require no modifications.)
- Please upload your most up-to-date unofficial transcript. For instructions on how to do this, go to
- Conditions of the Sophomore Research Fellowship: Students must
1) Register and complete three credits of supervised research or directed study during the summer or academic year following the receipt of the award in May.
2) Apply for and receive approval from the Human Subjects and/or Animal Care and Use Committee(s) if research uses human or animal subjects. This must be done prior to the start of research.
3) Present findings at the Undergraduate Symposium in April 2023.
4) Submit a research report of approximately 500 to 1000 words upon completion of research.
I have read and accept these conditions (Y/N).
- Academic Standing: I understand that to apply for and receive the Sophomore Research Fellowship I must be a student in good academic and disciplinary standing. I further understand that to be eligible for these awards, I must disclose to the Undergraduate Academic Awards Office past university disciplinary action for academic or non-academic misconduct. Records may be requested to verify the circumstances of any disciplinary infraction.
- If awarded a fellowship, I give consent to the Office of Undergraduate Academic Awards to have a copy of my research proposal (with name removed) retained and made available to future applicants for them to review (but not copy or reproduce) as they prepare their own applications.
- Show 9 more