Ronald E. McNair Postbaccalaureate Achievement Program
The University of Wisconsin – Madison Ronald E. McNair Postbaccalaureate Achievement Program (McNair Scholars Program) is an academic excellence opportunity for undergraduate students with aspiration and strong academic potential for advancing toward doctoral (Ph.D.) study upon completing the bachelor’s degree. The program creates a bridge between undergraduate and graduate education through academic, research, and scholarly experiences. Students selected for the McNair Scholars Program join a supportive community of peers, faculty, staff, and alumni.
Eligibility: UW Madison undergraduate students must meet either criterion (1) OR (2). All students must meet criterion (3) and (4).
1) First-generation college student as well as a low-income student
2) Member of traditionally underrepresented groups* in graduate education: African American, Hispanic/Latinx, American Indian (*according to federal guidelines, Asian American, including Southeast Asian American are eligible under criterion 1).
3) A minimum cumulative Grade Point Average of 2.9 and 45 earned college credits.
4) US citizen or permanent resident.
*Preference will be given to applicants who meet criteria #1 and can participate in the program for a minimum of 12 full months (full academic year, including the summer before graduation). However, all eligible students are strongly encouraged to apply.
Application Checklist (Due October 16th, 2020)
Submitted through WiSH Portal:
- Completed Application
- Two (2) Letters of Recommendation (at least one letter must be from a Professor)
- Personal Statement: Please provide a personal statement (no more than 1000 words). Please consider these guidelines as you are writing this statement:
1. Why do you want to pursue a Ph.D.?
2. What are your short and long term career goals?
3. How can the McNair Scholars Program assist you in attaining those goals?
4. What specific research area interests you the most? Discuss any current research or a possible research topic and mentor/professor with whom you would like to work.
5. Describe a personal example that shows your persistence and commitment to academic endeavors.
Note, we will require all interviewees to submit the following documentation to the McNair Staff following their interview.
- Federal Tax Returns:
Include a signed copy of your 2017 federal tax returns (if you are claimed as a dependent, submit the tax return of your parent/guardian who claimed you). Please make sure your document includes the following (This is usually 1-2 pages long.):
1. Adjusted gross income
2. Taxable income
3. Signature or disclaimer about an electronic signature
Note: DO NOT EMAIL FINANCIAL INFORMATION!! We will only accept hard copies of your financial documents.
- First-Generation College Status Form (Found here:)
For more information about the program, please visit the McNair Scholars Program website at diversity.wisc.edu/mcnair or through email at firstname.lastname@example.org.