Burish Fellowship: Museum Education Internship
Sponsored by the Chazen Museum of Art, the UW-Madison Art Department and the Burish Fund.
For 2020-2021, the Chazen Museum of Art seeks two excellent museum education interns who will:
1. Explore the inner workings of an art museum and the role of art education within it.
2. Collaborate with museum and art education staff to co-develop programs related to Chazen exhibitions and collections.
3. Facilitate presentations and teach workshops for various museum populations.
Interns are expected to work up to 200 hours over the course of one semester, either fall OR spring (approximately 10-14 hours per week),
and in return gain valuable on-the-job, museum education experience, *course credit, a $4000 stipend, and cost of tuition for one full academic year (up to $11,000)!
Students applying for the internship must:
- Be enrolled full time at UW-Madison
- Be a declared undergraduate art major (BS Art, BFA Art, or BS Art Education)
- Have completed at least 60 course credits by the start of their internship semester
- Demonstrate outstanding academic and professional leadership qualities
Wisconsin residents, out-of-state, and international art and art education majors are all eligible to apply.
Timeline for Intern Selection
- March 12: Application deadline.
- March 13 – 25: Review of applications.
- March 26: Final candidates contacted for interviews.
- March 30 and 31: Interviews.
- April 3: Announcement of internship awards sent to the top two candidates.
Dates and Hours for Internships
- Fall semester internship = September 8 through December 12, 2020.
- Spring semester internship = January 19 through May 2, 2021.
- Internship hours will be determined by the intern’s semester course schedule. However, interns should have availability between the hours of 9:00 am – 5:00 pm, Monday through Friday, with an occasional required Thursday evening or Saturday afternoon.
*Interns are eligible to enroll in ART ED 699 Independent Study for one or two credits during their internship semester if needed to meet studio and/or degree requirements.
For questions, contact Dr. Mary Hoefferle at email@example.com