- Undergraduate Academic Awards
- Supplemental Questions
- Eligibility Questions:
Please note: Students may not apply for a Hilldale/Hostrom Fellowship and a Sophomore Research Fellowship in the same year. Previous recipients of a Hilldale Fellowship or a Holstrom Fellowship may not apply for a second award of the same type.
- a. Please indicate which award you are applying for. (If you apply for but do not receive a Holstrom Fellowship, you will automatically be considered for a Hilldale Fellowship.)
- b. Have you applied for a Sophomore Research Fellowship this year?
- c. Have you ever received a Hilldale Undergradauate/Faculty Research Fellowship?
- d. Have you ever received a Holstrom Environmental Scholarship?
- e. The McPherson Eye Research Institute will sponsor one additional Hilldale Fellowship for vision based research (including bioengineering, imaging, data visualization, cognitive psychology, ophthalmology and general biology of the eye). Does this describe your project?
- f. The UW-Arboretum will sponsor one additional Hilldale Fellowship for research that is relevant to the Arboretum mission (including ecology, biology, botany, forestry, wildlife, soil science, horticulture, environmental engineering, invasive species, and storm water), with a significant portion of the work being conducted on Arboretum property. Does this describe your project?
- Academic field of proposed research:
- Title of proposed research project:
- Support requested to begin:
- Are you applying for, or have you received, other undergraduate scholarships/fellowships to complete the research proposed in this application?(If you are awarded and accept a Hilldale or Holstrom you may not accept funding from other sources for the same research project during the same time period. For example, if you plan to apply for summer funding from another source you may want to apply for the Hilldale or Holstrom for the fall and/or spring term.)
- If yes, please describe. (For example, 'Applying for summer research funding through the Chemistry Department.')
- Expected date of graduation (Month/Year):
- Project Advisor (Please answer all 5 questions below.)
- a. Project advisor's name:
- b. Project advisor's UW-Madison email address:
- c. Project advisor's title (Professor, Rsearch Scientist, etc...):
- d. Project advisor's department (Sociology, Botany, etc...):
- e. To request a letter of reference from your project advisor fill out the name and email address below, and save. The WiSH system will send an email to your project advisor with a link to upload their letter. You are responsible for ensuring your project advisor completes this reference request.
- Project Proposal
Please upload your project proposal in pdf format, and name the file like this: last name+first name (EX: Badger+Bucky).
Your proposal should be no more than five double-spaced pages (including abstract and references), and should follow disciplinary guidelines. Please use at least 1 inch margins and a font size no smaller than 11pt. If you are uncertain about how to format your proposal, talk to your project advisor.
All proposals should contain the following:
* An abstract of the proposed research (200 words or less, may be single-spaced)
* Introduction and literature review, detailing the originality and significance of the proposed project
* Methods section, describing plans for data collection and analysis
* Timeline for completion of project
* Conclusion/future directions
* References (may be single-spaced)
Sample successful proposals are available for review in the Undergraduate Academic Awards Office, Room 502C, 445 Henry Mall. Please call or email (265-2428, firstname.lastname@example.org) to make sure someone is in the office when you stop by.
- I attest that I wrote this proposal with no more than minimal edits from my research mentors or others.
- Please upload your most up-to-date unofficial transcript. For instructions on how to do this, go to
- Conditions of Hilldale or Holstrom Award
1) Register and complete three credits of supervised research, senior thesis or directed study during the summer or academic year following the receipt of the award in May. This must be done prior to graduation.
2) Apply for and receive approval from the Human Subjects and/or Animal Care and Use Committee(s) if research uses human or animal subjects.
3) Present findings at the Undergraduate Symposium in April, 2021.
4) Submit a research report of approximately 500 to 1,000 words upon completion of research.
I have read and accept these conditions (Y/N).
- I understand that to apply for and receive the Hilldale Fellowship or Holstrom Fellowship I must be a student in good academic and disciplinary standing. I further understand that to be eligible for these awards, I must disclose to the Undergraduate Academic Awards Office past university disciplinary action for academic or non-academic misconduct. Records may be requested to verify the circumstances of any disciplinary infraction.
- If awarded a fellowship, I give consent to the Office of Undergraduate Academic Awards to have a copy of my research proposal (with name removed) retained and made available to future applicants for them to review (but not copy or reproduce) as they prepare their own applications.
- Show 9 more
- Eligibility Questions: