Theodore Herfurth and Teddy Kubly Awards for Initiative and Efficiency
A generous grant from the Herfurth and Kubly family allows for awards to seniors who made the maximum use of their time at UW-Madison, demonstrating productivity in the classroom and the community. Among the oldest awards presented at UW-Madison, the Theodore Herfurth award for a senior man was introduced in 1928, followed by the Teddy Kubly award for a senior woman in 1943.
A $2,000 cash prize for seniors judged outstanding in the areas of academic achievement, self-support, extracurricular activities, and verbal expression.
Students must have senior standing, and plan to graduate the May/August/December following application. PharmD students should apply during their fifth year.
How to Apply
Applicants must be nominated by UW-Madison faculty or staff, and submit an application, resume/CV, and transcript.
Selection criteria: academic and creative achievement, service, leadership, financial self-support, written and oral communication skills.
Two awards are given each year, one to a senior man, the other to a senior woman. Award recipients receive $2,000 each. Occasionally runners-up are named, and receive $500 each.
Conditions of Award
Ten finalists are selected to attend a banquet in March or April with selection committee members and a representative from the Herfurth and Kubly family. At the event, finalists will be asked to give a 5 minute prepared speech on the topic of their choice, and a 2 minute impromptu speech responding to a question posed by a member of the selection committee. The award recipients are selected from among the finalists.
Visit program site
- Undergraduate Academic Awards
- Supplemental Questions
- To apply for this award you must be nominated by faculty or staff, and plan to graduate in May, August or December of 2019.
I understand these eligiblity criteria and verify both are true.
- The Herfurth-Kubly Committee will invite 8-10 finalists to a dinner on April 16, 2019 from 4:30-9:00p.m. Attendance is mandatory. At this event candidates complete the last part of the application process; two short speeches, one prepared and one impromptu.
I have read and understand this statement (Y/N).
Please complete and upload the required Herfurth-Kubly résumé template linked below. Please save and upload this résumé template in pdf format, and name the file like this: last name+first name (EX: Badger+Bucky).
Herfurth Kubly Résumé Template 2018-19
- UNDERGRADUATE SERVICE AND LEADERSHIP HOURS
- a.Total hours of Service, Leadership, and other Activities (NOT FOR CREDIT) (total from Part I (A) on the Herfurth-Kubly résumé template).
- b.Total hours of Service, Leadership, and other Activities (FOR CREDIT) (total from Part I (B) on the Herfurth-Kubly résumé template).
- UNDERGRADUATE EDUCATION FINANCING
Please format the dollar amounts without a dollar sign or decimal point. EX: 5,000
- a. Total amount earned through merit scholarships or awards (total from Part II on the Herfurth-Kubly résumé template).
- b. Total amount earned through employment while in college (total from Part III on the Herfurth-Kubly résumé template).
- c. Total amount of money earned for college while in high school.
- d. Need-based Financial aid administered through UW-Madison Office of Student Financial Aid. Total amount of grants (funds that do not have to be repaid).
- e. Need-based Financial aid administered through UW-Madison Office of Student Financial Aid. Total amount of loans (funds that have to be repaid to the U.S. Department of Education or a financial institution).
- f. If there are extenuating circumstances related to the self-financing of your undergraduate education not captured in the questions above, please briefly explain them here:
Pick the college leadership role or extracurricular activity that is most important to you, and describe what impact the experience has had on you, what you contributed, what you learned about yourself, and how it has influenced your plans for the future. (Please be sure to define or explain any acronyms, organizations or clubs that may not be familiar to committee members.) (250 - 500 words)
- I understand that to apply for and receive the Herfurth-Kubly Awards for Initiative and Efficiency I must be a student in good academic and disciplinary standing. I further understand that to be eligible for these awards, I must disclose to the Undergraduate Academic Awards Office past university disciplinary action for academic or non-academic misconduct. Records may be requested to verify the circumstances of any disciplinary infraction.
- Show 2 more