Bascom Hill Society Scholarship
The Bascom Hill Society, the major donor honor organization of the University of Wisconsin Foundation, offers a full scholarship to an upperclassman with financial need, a solid academic record, demonstrated leadership capability and outstanding volunteer contributions to the University of Wisconsin and/or his or her community.
FAFSA required prior to awarding decisions
A campus-wide scholarship for sophomores or juniors with financial need and extensive service/leadership activities.
Applicant must have a GPA of 3.2 or above, sophomore or junior status at the time of application, and unmet financial need of at least $1,000 for Wisconsin or Minnesota residents, or at least $5,000 for out-of-state residents. To determine eligibility, applicant must file a Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA).
How to Apply
Applicant must submit application and transcript from each university attended. Two letters of recommendation required, one attesting to your academic success, the other commenting on your leadership ability and potential.
Applicant must have an outstanding record of campus or community service, demonstrated leadership capacity, and academic ability and achievement.
The scholarship covers full tuition (in- or out-of-state), fees, books, and room and board for one year of undergraduate study at the University of Wisconsin-Madison. Award announced spring semester, payment received following fall semester.
Conditions of Award
The scholarship recipient is expected to attend the Bascom Hill Society Fall Event in October; the recipient’s name and credentials may be used in UW Foundation and University materials.
Visit program site
- Undergraduate Academic Awards
- Supplemental Questions
- Do you currently have at least sophomore standing (24 or more credits), are enrolled full-time (12+ credits), and have a cumulative GPA of 3.2 or above?
- Have you submitted your FAFSA and does your financial aid award include grants, federal work-study, or subsidized loans? (Unsure about your Financial Aid? Refer to your financial aid award in your Student Center or contact the Office of Student Financial Aid before you submit this application.) Please note: The amount of unmet financial need will be one of the factors considered during the selection process, with preference being given to candidates for whom the awarding of the scholarship would significantly increase the likelihood of the student being able to pursue impactful service and leadership experiences.
- Applicants must plan to enroll as full-time undergraduate student for the following academic year. (Students who plan to study abroad the next academic year are eligible to apply.) I meet this requirement (Y/N).
- Letters of Recommendation: Scholarship applicants are required to submit two letters of recommendation.
One letter must be from a University faculty or staff member or a community leader who has first-hand knowledge of your volunteer activities and leadership.
The other letter must be from a professor (or teaching assistant) who can comment on your academic performance.
Enter the names and email addresses of your recommenders below. Once you save your answer, the WiSH system will send an automated email to your recommenders requesting the letter of recommendation.
- (1) Service and Leadership Recommender
- (2) Academic Recommender
- Application Form
Please download, complete, and upload the Bascom Hill Society Scholarship Application Form (LINK)
Upload your completed form in pdf format, and name the file like this: last name+first name (EX: Badger+Bucky).
- I understand that to apply for and receive the Bascom Hill Society Scholarship I must be a student in good academic and disciplinary standing. I further understand that to be eligible for these awards, I must disclose to the Undergraduate Academic Awards Office past university disciplinary action for academic or non-academic misconduct. Records may be requested to verify the circumstances of any disciplinary infraction.
- Show 1 more